Debunking myths on genetics and DNA

Wednesday, February 3, 2016

February IWSG: what's your outlet when the muse keeps evading you?


This is a monthly event started by the awesome Alex J. Cavanaugh and organized by the Insecure Writer's Support Group. Click here to find out more about the group and sign up for the next event.

Hello to all my IWSG friends. Last time I made a list of new year's preposition, and I have to say the one about taking my time writing is going really, really well. Ha, yes, I'm being sarcastic, because I'm not sue it's a good thing. It took me 2 months to write a 14K-word long novella, and it's taking me forever to draft the third book in my Mayake Chronicle series (ssssh, don't tell anyone, though!).

Is that good or bad? I'm not sure. I like to let characters simmer in my head. At the same time, I have that nagging feeling that I'm not being productive. So, what do I do? I take photos. If there's a thing like cross-training, there's gotta be a cross-inspiration too, right?

What about you? Do you have an outlet when the words get stuck in your head and don't want to come out?

12 comments:

  1. when I'm stuck on a story, I just put it away and work on something else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're just taking your time to do it right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think any production is great. 2 months sounds fast to me not slow, faster than at any rate lol. You go.
    file:///C:/Users/Juneta/Documents/Writing%20Tips%20and%20Helps/post-inspiration-tipsheet.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  4. These past few weeks I've had the feeling that I'm not being that productive because I haven't been writing much. I'm waiting for notes from a beta and beta reading for someone else, reading books, and doing stuff. But it just always feels like I'm not doing anything if I'm not writing new words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to sketch. I also like to word & photo mind-map. I like to find out from my characters what music they like to listen to, and sometimes a song will spur creativity in or for a scene. I also like tweaking my website. Sometimes reading a story of a favorite author can re-start my muse or watching a show. I have many times watch a show and something they said, a quote will inspire a creation.

    As for productivity, I don't know that it helps, but it can spur the muse.
    Juneta Writer's Gambit

    ReplyDelete
  6. It comes down to do you like what you've done? Is there quality in your work that rushing couldn't produce? If the answer is no, you may have to change your approach. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  7. I put myself into my work when words won't come.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a notoriously slow artist, so I can relate to not feeling productive enough. Even though I make sure I work on my projects everyday despite that, it can be really hard sometimes. Glad you're able to turn to your photography as an outlet! Hope you're able to feel more productive with your writing soon...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love to take pictures too. When words get stuck, I work on another writing pfoject. Music also helps me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This seems to be a common topic this month. Something in the ether??? I received so many helpful suggestions--one as simple as open the file and start reading what I wrote. Yes, it does help. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A very wise writer once told me that so long as I wrote a page a day on my writing projects, to celebrate. Why? because others are procrastinating and haven't written a single word. So it's time to celebrate! When I am not feeling inspired to write, I sketch or listen to music. Something always tugs me back to writing. Good luck with your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I usually write something else: a journal entry, a blog post, a play piece, a book review. Double points if it's something that was on my to-do list anyway. You have to face that there are days when you won't make good progress. That's not a problem unless you give in to the malaise and stop trying to make progress. Every story takes as long as it takes.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated. Comments with spam links will be deleted and never published. So, if your intention is to leave a comment just to post a bogus link, please spare your time and mine. To all others: thank you for leaving a comment, I will respond as soon as possible.