Debunking myths on genetics and DNA

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

December IWSG


This is a monthly event started by the awesome Alex J. Cavanaugh and organized by the Insecure Writer's Support Group. Click here to find out more about the group and sign up for the next event.

As I was wondering what to write about this month, I realized my insecurities lately have actually been around my photography. Why? Because I had a show at the local gallery and people started noticing my portraits. So... I started getting client requests, and that's very exciting but also unnerving. Exciting because I LOVE to take portraits, and clients == free models. But it also makes me a little nervous because if you hire me to take a portrait, I won't just grab my camera and click. I edit. I make the colors pop, I blur the background until it's no longer distracting, and I tweak the light until it's perfect.

Today's phones take awesome pictures. You can get an awesome camera for $200. So, if you hire me to take your portrait, I want to make sure that whatever pictures you get are nothing like something you would've shot with your phone. This makes me nervous because there's a great amount of subjectivity that goes with editing, and so I always wonder, "What if my clients don't like the final product?"

Why am I telling all this to you guys? Because I think the same holds for writing. See, when I take a picture, I want it to be memorable. I want it to be something that you want to hang on your wall and smile every time you see it. The same goes with books. If we're just going to write the story of our life, anybody can do that. It's like snapping a shot with an iphone, right? If we want somebody to buy our books, we need to write something big, something epic, something that makes people smile, cry, laugh, and bite their lip...

Easy for me to say, right? Well, I haven't written that book yet... but I'm working on it!! How about you? ;-)

Some of my portraits

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful work. I don't think you have anything to fear. Your photo's are outstanding. I especially love your interpretation photo art, I think your writing is wonderful. We never live up to our own images and I think a lot that is because when you take idea you have to make them into something tangible, and that changes it a bit--the shining light around it disappears and the solid matter emerges from the essence into something we can actually hold and touch. We set the boundaries on the idea to squeeze it into life, just like birth changes a unborn baby into a living breathing independent entity.

    To make a ideal happen it take boundaries and restrictions like physical laws of nature of this world rather than the ethereal, which is what an idea is in a lot of ways, until we make it birth it. I'm prattling on in my philosophical mindset, so take it with a grain of salt, lol.,

    Great post. Happy IWSG!

    Juneta @ Writer's Gambit

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you lived in my little town. *sigh* You do an excellent job. No wonder you're insecure you care sooooo much. That's a good thing.

    Anna from Elements of Writing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's a great point... insecurities spur from caring... thank you!

      Delete
  3. I think it's the same for anyone who's an artist - we want it to be perfect and memorable.
    Cool your show got a lot of portrait requests.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll echo Juneta. People wouldn't ask you to do a portrait if they didn't also want it special, and can see that you do that special thing. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, gosh, I can relate so well to this as an artist. Even though I'm beyond grateful for each commission I get, I can't help but be a nervous wreck whenever one comes my way, since I want the end result to be perfect.

    And I don't think you have anything to fear as a photographer. Your work is always so incredibly breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pictures are beautiful and I think you'll do a great job. I think your worries will have you working hard to make the best product. Just remember to enjoy it too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, your portraits are beautiful. It looks like you have a great eye for colour. I can understand what you mean though. We need to have something that stands out, but it can be hard to pin down exactly what that thing is - we just have to keep putting our best work out there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazingly gorgeous portraits. It's hard to create something that stands out, but from what I see there, you have no need to worry!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated. Comments with spam links will be deleted and never published. So, if your intention is to leave a comment just to post a bogus link, please spare your time and mine. To all others: thank you for leaving a comment, I will respond as soon as possible.